Saturday, March 05, 2005

Springtime Fitness!

I just love spring! It is my most favorite season of the year! I love to go outside and get my hands in the soil and connect with nature.

Last week, I went on a hike with a group of other mothers and our children. Along the trail, the mountainside is covered with lots of spring poppies and other flowers which were so beautiful. I met a couple on the trail who were from Massachusetts who asked if the flowers were always like this here. I explained that this year they are more plentiful because of the rain, but yes they are usually here every spring. The lady was surprised! "Do you consider this spring?", she asked. "Well yes", I replied, "and our spring does not last long. Summer comes awfully fast here and stays a long time." So we have been enjoying spring time here in southern Arizona for a few weeks now.

For those of you in other parts of the world, spring may not be here yet, but it is something to always look forward to. These are things I and my family enjoy doing in the spring time.

* Growing a garden. It's great to be outdoors again and enjoy the fresh air, sunshine, and plant some seeds and watch them sprout and grow. I always say that if you don't grow a garden you are missing out on watching miracles happen. Every seed that sprouts seems like a miracle to me. I love the benefits of a garden when it is producing abundantly in a couple of months, and I love to work and beautify the garden area. It is all so refreshing!

* Going hiking. This is the best time of year to hike. It is cool and the air is clean, the flowers are blooming and the mountain springs are flowing. Don't miss out on the opportunity to see all these wonderful things of nature.

* Going for walks and bike rides. Since we can't hike every day, we can go for walks or bike ride. At least we can still enjoy the clean air from the recent rains, and the nice cool breeze with out the extreme heat or cold. It feels so good to be out and getting good exercise this time of year.

* Watching the changes of the season. The blossoms are on here, the annuals are budding, the wild flowers are growing abundantly, and the weeds are growing. It's great to notice it all as new life forming, so appropriate for bringing in Easter. If you don't like the weeds, just eat them. Most of them are edible! Just identify them and add them to salads. They are just great!

Where ever you live, enjoy the new life of spring!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?